What kind of electrical adapter do I need?

Type G Electrical PlugIf you look online you’ll see that Tanzania has two options when it comes to electrical plugs/adapters — Type G, and Type D.

Although you do see Type D adapters from time to time (three, thick rounded pins), by far the most prevalent type of plug configuration is the Type C (three, flat prongs — the same as you’ll find in the U.K., Singapore, Malaysia, and other former British colonies).

If you don’t have one already, you’ll need to buy a plug converter so that you can plug in your devices while you are traveling with us in Tanzania. This will allow you to use all of the same adapters you always use (so make sure to bring all of the necessary chargers and power adapters you usually use), but makes it so that the plugs will fit into the power outlets in the lodges here.

Plug adapters are inexpensive, and are widely available all over the place, including Amazon.com (for example, this one).

(In the event that you forget to bring a plug adapter we will either loan you one of ours, or see if we can pick one up in Arusha.)

High Voltage Electrical Items

Tanzania operates on a 230V/50Hz electrical grid (as opposed to a 120V/60Hz grid in the U.S. and Canada). Although most devices (battery chargers, laptops, phone chargers, etc.) nowadays automatically “switch” current depending on what electrical grid they are plugged into, some devices do not — most notably, high-wattage items such as hair dryers and hair curlers.

We strongly recommend leaving such devices at home, as use without a proper switching device (an expensive, heavy brick that you wouldn’t want to carry with you anyway) could cause damage to the item in question, or even start a fire.


Have any other questions regarding electrical adapters or the electricity in Tanzania? Just let us know and we’ll be happy to answer and and all queries you may have.

Click here to go back to the main Frequently Asked Questions page.


Comments are closed.